Springfield Armory Releases XDS Mod.2
XDS Mod.2: There is more than meets the eye in this version two of a now classic carry piece.
1.Lets start with the first thing.........The XDS Mod.2 uses Grip Zones......But loses the stupid logo. Yea I hear the crowds applauding that one. But now lets see if users really know how to grip this one, only time will tell. But gone is the pineapple grenade style checkering that could be uncomfortable to shoot with for long periods of time. The finger groves and overall texturing should be more comfortable to hold on to this beast.
2.The second more major improvement I see in that beavertail They mentioned that whole area has been re-contoured and your hands fits higher up into the frame. I love the XDS original, but with man hands shooting it for long periods of time, the knock of my main shooting hand thumb could get rubbed sore and tender. I went through a weekend shooting it and I got a blister.
3. The extractor Interesting but they changed the system to copy something more like the Glocks or Current poly Sigs use. If you notice the back of the XDS Mod.2 you now see a round thing next to the back plate. On a Glock these there parts are the Spring Loaded Bearing, Spring and Extractor plunger. What this makes me think is that they re engineered the way the extractor, moves and holds the case rim. In the XDS original especially in the 45acp. On a new gun the extractor could have too much pressure and new users could have some issues with the slide not going fully into battery unless tapped. Time will tell if version two still has these issues.....but my educated guess is that you will suddenly stop hearing about feeding issues as much as you used to.
4. The Mod.2 now has an option for ameriglo night sights from the factory. Yes thank god they moved from they older style night sights they used to put on XD's.
5. The slide now has a trapezoid shape to it like the XDM pistols. They did the same thing with the 911 380 micro pistol as well.
6. Trigger lets let the real world decide if they did improve it. Everyone fondly remembers the Pre Recall triggers easy XDS adopters I thing were underwhelmed when they got the recalled guns back.
7. No more mention of Croatia on the makers mark on the frame. Don't get too excited I don't think this is an American made SA poly gun. Way back in the XD classics some of them also only had "Springfield Inc, Geneseo IL." as well. But the Mod .2 and XDE also had the makers mark "made in Croatia".
besides the Grip Zone logo what did we loose? Interchangeable back straps, yes it is the Mod.2 frame but the XDS Classic had interchangeable backstops. Maybe they did testing and found out that no one ever used them......Did you?
So what does this mean for the XDM, Well duh by the next 2019 Shot Show we will most likely see a Mod.2 XDM.
The XDE is not even a year old and has mod.2 frame. Since this is still a fresh pistol it will be a while before we see the slide enhancements with the extractor and slide shape change.
Classic XD......it will stay in the line up as is. These are still the only XD's available for a brethren behind the occupied zone of California. So as long as they still sell, SA will provide.